Now I’m adding sashing in between the vertical rows of the quilt, using the background fabric so that the sashing will blend in.
The quilt top is wide enough, but I want it to be longer, so I add wide borders to the top and bottom.
I really like the way the green is making the rest of the colors pop. 🙂 Now to double-check my measurements so I can begin writing the pattern.
Argh! Well, I screwed up. To get the zinnias in the layout I wanted, I added fudge pieces. I un-sewed some colored strips to make them the size I wanted and puzzle-pieced them in. That made the piecing of the rows more complicated and not simple to replicate. I want to keep it simple so the pattern writing will be easier. Argh!
I like to make my quilts with a picture in my mind, and take notes along the way. But then I always need to reverse engineer the instructions, which doesn’t always work out well. This was one of those times. I like the quilt, and I’ll use it as a sample, but I need to make another one after planning the layout *and* the measurements.
I spent an afternoon sketching another layout, making sure the strip measurements fit. This version only has 2 fudge pieces, so it will be easier to write the pattern. O.K., on to sewing another top! I’ll show you that progress in future posts.
Take care and stay safe!